Monday, December 26, 2016

Buon Natale

Merry Christmas from Caserta, Italy!

I hope everyone had a wonderful day with family and friends :)

I got to Skype my family yesterday and it was so good to see them and get to talk with them for a little!! (Hence the short email).

The work has been pretty slow this week, everyone is busy with the holiday season. We endured with faith and.....

We had two HUGE Christmas miracles yesterday. There is a less-active woman we've been working with since I got here. We visit her several times a week and she's never been to church but yesterday she CAME. Sorella Hess and I both got teary-eyed as she walked in. We were so happy!

Right before sacrament meeting started, our investigator Gianfranco came up to us and said he's ready to be baptized as soon as we can do it!!! He's been coming to church for the last year or so but he's in a tricky situation and hasn't been able to get baptized until now. We both cried again right there when he said that!! We are so excited for him. He has the strongest testimony and hasn't missed a week of church since I've been here. Best Christmas gift ever

This week I read about a really awesome experience Thomas S. Monson had when he was little:

“Christmas time had come. We were preparing for the oven a gigantic turkey and anticipating the savory feast that awaited. A neighborhood pal of mine asked a startling question: ‘What does turkey taste like?’ “I responded, ‘Oh, about like chicken tastes.’ “Again a question: ‘What does chicken taste like?’ “It was then that I realized that my friend had never eaten chicken or turkey. I asked what his family was going to have for Christmas dinner. There was no prompt response—just a downcast glance and the comment, ‘I dunno. There’s nothing in the house.’ “I pondered a solution. There was none. I had no turkeys, no chickens, no money. Then I remembered I did have two pet rabbits. Immediately I took my friend by the hand and rushed to the rabbit hutch, placed the rabbits in a box, and handed the box to him with the comment, ‘Here, take these two rabbits. They’re good to eat—just like chicken.’ “He took the box, climbed the fence, and headed for home, a Christmas dinner safely assured. Tears came easily to me as I closed the door to the empty rabbit hutch. But I was not sad. A warmth, a feeling of indescribable joy, filled my heart. It was a memorable Christmas.
“Heavenly Father is ever mindful of those who need, who seek, who trust, who pray, and who listen when He speaks. ‘For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life’ (John 3:16). God’s gift becomes our blessing. May every heart open wide and welcome him—Christmas day and always.”

I'm so thankful for this Christmas season and the opportunity I have as a missionary to share the gospel with everyone :)

Sorry for the short email, but our pday was jam-packed with craziness that you'll have to wait til next week to hear about!

Love you all and hope you have a happy new year!!

If you have any questions for me about Italy, Caserta, missionary work, or The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, I would love to answer them and I'd love to hear from you :)

Sorella Carley Neuberger
Via Caduti Sul Lavoro 3
Caserta CE 81100 Italia



Christmas Eve spent with our district and an American family on base
Zone Christmas caroling in Napoli
Eels (People eat eels for good luck for the
New Year.  I will stick with black-eyed peas)

Streets of Caserta