Monday, February 12, 2018

Casa del Panzerotto

Not sure if I've explained panzerotti yet. Here goes. A "panzerotto" is basically a fried pizza....I need to take a picture to send so you can have a visual of how heavenly the food is here. Panzerotti are unique to this zone! You can get them with cheese and sauce inside or with meat, or ricotta, they even make nutella panzerotti! Blessed. 

Cuttlefish (same family as squid or octopus)
Not as tasty as the panzerotto
So the best panzerotti place in Taranto is called "Casa del Panzerotto" and Sorella Barnes took me there this week since I was in Taranto for a scambio! It was so much fun being on exchanges with Sorella Barnes but also weird because the last time we did a scambio we were both greenies! So it was kind of cool to see the progress we have both made. We saw tons of miracles in those 24 hours! We had a lesson with one of their african members, Analisa, she was so cute and totally reminded me of Gift which made me kind of sad and missing her haha. And then we did some finding with a twist: whiteboarding! We took a small whiteboard and wrote "Do you believe in God?" and had a column for yes, no, and maybe. Then we walked all around the city with this whiteboard, handing the marker to so many different people having them mark their answers. It was a really awesome way to find because the people who want to talk about religion will stop! One girl we walked by looked right at me and said "Why do you believe in God?" And the way she said it just really struck me and that's kind of where my thoughts have been throughout the week. Why do I believe in God? Why do YOU believe in God? I believe in God like I believe that there is wind! I can't see Him, but I can feel Him, I can feel His presence in my life every day, which is truly something beautiful. I believe in God because I know He hears and answers my prayers! Maybe not on my timing or in the way I'd like, but He always does. 


In terms of big news.... Antonella came to church again yesterday!! So I guess that answers the question of whether or not she liked it :) We were so excited that she wanted to come back. She also really loves the hymns so this past week we got her a new hymn book and wrote her a dedica and gave it to her! She was so happy and immediately started singing "I need thee every hour". Wow. We also helped her download the gospel library app on her phone this week, she loves it!!!! We went to visit her the day after she downloaded it and she was so excited to tell us about the talk she read "Three Sisters" the one by Elder Uchtdorf. Ahhhhh Antonella is so amazing and just living proof that everything is in the Lord's hands and His timing because she's been an off and on investigator for about 7 months or more!

Sacrament meeting yesterday was nothing short of amazing, it was almost like it was planned specifically for Antonella! All of the talks were given by members who were converts and they told their conversion stories and how they decided to be baptized. It was so perfect!!!! And then Bishop got up and told his too, which was extra personal for her since she grew up with him! He talked about how he had member friends and when he went to their houses he could feel something different and he wanted that in his home. After sacrament meeting, Antonella asked him "When can I come to your house?" We are planning FHE for this week. :)

Sorella Moses and daughter Gioia
Also at church yesterday: Sorella Moses brought her husband! Sorella Moses is the only african member of the ward here in Statte but she's lived here for about 8 years and speaks italian really well! She also has 2 really cute kids. Her husband isn't a member and I don't think he's been to church before, we asked her how she got him to come, she said: "I took the keys and locked the door so he had to come with me!" Savage. But it was so great to meet him and see their whole family in church together :) And it was also great getting to translate gospel principles for him, felt like I was back in Sassari!

Unfortunately, Giuseppe and Elvira didn't make it to church yesterday, but their 25 year old son, Enrico did! He stayed the whole time, asked tons of questions, it was really great. So hopefully he talks it up to his parents and they all come together next week! We visited Giuseppe and Elvira last night at their house and Giuseppe promised us he would be in church next week so I'm already looking foward to that. Also we took them zucchini bread and they loved it so much that they put the recipe in their recipe book for the Panificio!! Last night we talked with them more about the Restoration, watched Joseph Smith the Restoration and then I asked Giuseppe to be baptized when he receives his answer that these things are true. His response: "Assolutamente." (absolutely). We told him that we had prayed about April 7th and he said he would pray about it too. He said "I know I need to read my Book of Mormon every day by myself, not just the days when you come to the panificio to read with me. And I need to be more sincere and specific in my prayers". Giuseppe. He knows. I just love he and Elvira with my whole heart!!!!!!!! They are going to be the ones I save up for to fly them to America so they can stay at my house for a week (if that's okay mom and dad..!) 

During the week we felt prompted to stop by and ex-investigator, Monica. Well, she was home! (we've stopped by their house probably more than 10 times this transfer and they've never been home). Monica is this cute young mom with 4 really cute daughters and they just seem like they are already mormon hahaha. We talked about the family, read a few parts of the Family Proclamation, and are going to go back this week!

We also saw a cool miracle with our investigator Rosa this week! We stopped by her house one morning and her granddaughter was over visiting!! Her granddaughter is 23 years old and her name is Daniela and she is our newest investigator she's the cutest thing and we are such good friends already!! They invited us back on Sunday, so yesterday we went for pranzo and got to talk more about the Restoration! Daniela just ate it up, asked for our phone number (plot twist..) and asked when we're going to see each other again. Statte miracles people. I love this place. And I love these people even more. 

I'll leave yall with a quote this week, something my mom sent me "the harder you fall, the higher you rise". Yep it's true! Sometimes it takes a fall to get us on our feet, to give us our motivation back but we can always rise! And when we do fall, we have our Savior Jesus Christ to help us get back up. I don't think there's anything in the world that gives me greater comfort than that knowledge. And I love sharing that with the Italian people every day! I love being a missionary and I love you all! 

Buona settimana a tutti!
XOXO

Sorella Carley Neuberger
Editors note:  The following pictures are from the town of Matera where Carley went for p-day.  This link explains more about Matera.  Copy and paste in your browser to learn more.               https://www.neverendingvoyage.com/sassi-matera-italy/