Thursday, July 5, 2018

The Sistine Chapel

Now that I've been transferred to Rome (!!!!!!!!!!!) I'm going to just start labeling my emails by what we do for pday! Today we took a district trip to Vatican City, waited in line for about 3 hours (maybe more), and then gave ourselves a very thorough tour of the Sistine Chapel! It was incredible. Rome is absolutely beautiful and I can't believe that I actually get to live here and love these amazing people for the next few months!! 
Sorella Yanacallo with Sistine Chapel in the background
So backtrack. We got transfer calls last Monday night and I got transferred to Rome 2, which is like the center of Rome. So yeah we can proselyte next to the Roman Colosseum hehe. And we are in the temple district so my companion and I will get to go to the temporary temple visitors center and work there so I'm excited to see what that brings!! My new companion is Sorella Yanacallo, she is originally from Ecuador but has lived in Genova (Italy) for the past 8 years. So she speaks perfect Italian! And no English. These past couple of days have been a blast speaking only Italian so I'm looking forward to a whole transfer full of it. Funny, because if you would've asked me 2 weeks ago, I would've told you I wanted a companion that spoke Italian so I could speak only Italian for a transfer......that being said I couldn't be happier with the way things turned out!!!!! I've realized how much my Italian has improved the last several transfers and also how much more I have to learn! Sometimes I forget we are even speaking in Italian then I catch myself saying something in English and Sorella Yanacallo gives me a blank stare hahahahah. She is so cute and sweet we are going to be best friends. She's 23 years old and a convert of 6 years so she has a really cool story it's going to be awesome to see her share it with the people of Roma!!!!!! 

saying goodbye to Sorella Hope
Leaving Siracusa was really hard. Like really really hard. Because we got blown in (white washed) I felt like I was just getting to know the members and we were just starting to build a teaching pool so it was tough saying goodbye to everyone. I just tried to persuade them all to come visit me in Rome ;) . The worst part was that Happy and Marvelous were on vacation all week so I didn't even get to see them to say goodbye after we had gotten the transfer call 😭. But I will keep y'all update on what happens next with them so stay tuned 👌

We got transfer calls Monday night, Tuesday and Wednesday were full of cleaning our house, packing, and trying to see everyone we possibly could! Then Wednesday evening we left for Catania, spent the night there, and I hopped on a train the next morning from Catania to Rome, that's 10 hours (or more) by the way. Saying goodbye to Sorella Hope was heartbreaking to put it nicely. We are literally soul sisters and I know we will be best friends for the rest of forever so I'm thankful that Heavenly Father saved her for this point in my life that we could meet and be mission companions. I learned so much from her and I'm so thankful for all of the laughs, memories, and good times we had in the beautiful city of Siracusa. So the train ride was beautiful, I really can't complain. The way it works is the train goes on a boat for a little to get from Sicily to the mainland and it's incredible. Then we took the train all the way up the coast just staring and the beautiful blue sea the whole time. It was something else!! Plus when we stopped in Napoli, Sorella Zapata brought us some pizza from Pelone.

Friday and Saturday we had MLC in Rome! It was really special on Friday, they drove all of us to the temple and set up a bunch of chairs there for the trainings. It was incredible being there in that still peacefulness and calm amid the chaos of Rome! The temple is so close to being finished and I think they're even putting in the grass tomorrow! 

The ward here in Rome 2 is gigantic....wow. I haven't been in a ward this big like ever it's kind of overwhelming! There are a lot of Americans too... some here for the temple construction, etc. Some here for the embassy. And so on. So that was really weird yesterday trying to introduce myself to people and not knowing whether to do it in English or Italian. haha. I am so excited to get to know all of them though and just really make this place home. 

Something from MLC that really resonated with me was when Sorella Pickerd said that "love is a choice". We choose to love our companion. We choose to love our family, friends, etc. We choose to love the Italians. But most importantly, we choose to love the Lord. I want you all to know that I love the Lord. I am so humbled to wear his name on my heart every day and share His love with the people that surround me! I know that He loves you too. 

Alla prossima! 
XOXO

My new address️  + lots of pictures below.


Sorella Carley Neuberger
Le Sorelle Missionarie
Piazza Bortolo Belotti, 55/21
Roma, RM 00139
Italia

Saying goodbye to my friends in Siracusa and some pictures from inside the Sistine Chapel.