Tuesday, October 3, 2017

Conference as a missionary

Conference as a missionary was seriously so special. I don't know what it is but I was able to get so much out of conference and feel the spirit so strongly. I'm thankful for modern day prophets and apostles who communicate with the Lord on our behalf and receive revelation for every single one of us! We (the Sassari missionaries) were able to watch general conference in english on a computer in the church! Menomale. But that still doesn't mean I understood everything, I am so looking forward to being able to read over their inspired words within the next couple of weeks! We got to watch the Saturday morning and the Sunday morning sessions live (at 6pm)! It was really cool watching it live and knowing my family and friends all over the world were doing the exact same thing. One of my favorite talks was by Elder Owen, he talked about the Atonement and the Prodigal Son which have been my topics of study the past couple of days! It's amazing to see the comfort and answers to prayer we can receive from General Conference.

General Conference Sunday at the church
Gift came to one session of general conference! Although we didn't get to meet with her this week, she was sick but still came to conference yesterday :)  Joy also came to a session of general conference too!! Of course she brought cute Jeffery :) I am not sure how much she understood, even in English, but I do know that she was able to feel the spirit.

We had a short lessson with Cristina this week, we called and asked what time she could meet and she said "how about 1?" We were like "huh???" 1 am? Because Italians don't do anything between the hours of 1 and 4 pm. But I guess she meant it because we had that lesson!! Turns out she has met with the missionaries before, tanti anni fa. 

Last Monday we were invited to dinner with a family from the ward! It turned out to be a birthday dinner for another lady in the ward and there was one of their non-member friends there! So we got to share a special video, "Earthly Father, Heavenly Father" and talk about how just like our earthly fathers want to talk and communicate with us, we have a Heavenly Father who wants the same. He has given us everything and sometimes we forget! But He is always there.

We met with Stefania, a less active, a couple times this week. She is about our age maybe a little older, just needs some friends and peace in her life. We read a scripture with her "Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you, not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled neither let it be afraid." I know that we have a loving Heavenly Father- He is there! And wants to help us! And comfort us in times of comfort. I know that we can find peace through Him and through His Son.

One of our neighbors is deaf, but we always salute him and Sorella DeMann always tries to communicate because she knows some american sign language. Kinda hard though because Italians have their own sign language. One night this week, we happened to be on the same bus as him going into centro! We were able to add him on Facebook and we are looking forward to hopefully messaging him and conversing more about our beliefs! 

Not sure if I mentioned it last week, but we met some really cute kids while doing casa in casa! We met up with them again, Naomi and Larisa, this week and exchanged phone numbers because they all want to come to church :) We gave them restoration pamphlets to which they immediately read (they can read!! and understand!) we are pumped about these guys and praying that we will be able to teach them and their families!! 

Centro Sassari
Park finding this week brought us some small successes too! There was a big group of teenagers (you know how teenagers are, put a screen in front of them and they'll watch it) so we did just that! We showed them the "Because of Him" video and it's amazing to watch the change in countenance every time we show that video it happens without fail. Another exchange of phone numbers!

On Thursday we had pranzo with Pietro! I don't think I've talked about him yet. He is our "BFF" he refers to himself as "Fresh Peter" hahaha oh my. He's like 54 years old, not a member, and comes to english course every time and comes to church every week. Pietro lives with his parents and they invited us over for pranzo it was great! His dad is reading the Book of Mormon and we are praying to be able to teach their family together. How cool would that be?!?! 

Beautiful church here in Sassari
Fun Italian fact: (mainly the old people) when we are riding on the buses every time we pass a church of some sort they do the cross. It's kind of funny to watch. When you know you're about to pass a church, and just looking around to see who does it. Mama mia. 

only in Italy.....
Fun Italian fact numero due: they say "buon" for everything. Buon apetito! Buongiorno (good morning), buonasera (good evening), buon pranzo (good lunch). So Sorella DeMann and I have been listening for some interesting ones this week. Last night after conference we ate cake with some members at the church and one of them told us "buon digestione" (good digestion)??? We had a good laugh about that one. Then today we were out in giro getting gelato and ran into someone we knew from the Caritas! They said "buon gelato" hahahah I love this country and the people here.

We saw a poppyseed muffin mix at the grocery store and decided to try it out. Apparantly the "lemon" makes a big difference. Definitely not american, I'll leave it at that ;)

This email is getting a lot longer than I originally intended, my bad. One last thing!  Ilaria. She is a member here, the only in her family, a convert, and is 19 years old! She's the ward missionary. We met up with her this week to get to know her, she joined the church as a result of english course! She is just on fire. I am excited to hopefully do more with here because she radiates the gospel. She is wanting to serve a mission so we are trying to help her get the ball rolling on that. We read Doctrine and Covenants section 4 together and it was a good reminder for me "if ye have desire to serve, you are called to the work". I know that desire exists within each of us! I am thankful for my call to serve and the opportunity I have to be in Sassari. Sempre avanti!

Oh and I had a dream about Panda Express this week. Go eat some orange chicken for me someone please. Love you all and hope yall have a great week :)

XOXOXOXO
Sorella Carley Neuberger
Le Sorelle Missionarie
Corso Giovanni Pascoli 25
Sassari, SS 07100
Italia