Monday, May 7, 2018

The week of forgetting my nametag...

A store called the First Vision.
Because I think I literally left the house without my nametag at least 3 times this week. At least. And if you know me, you know I'm not really a forgetful person.. so I have no idea what's going on! Saturday night I told myself I'd put an extra one in my bag for next time I forget. Well, I forgot to put an extra in my bag and then forgot my nametag and realized like halfway through church yesterday hahaha whoops....... this week will be better 🤞

Well it hasn't even been a week since my last email so there isn't too much to update y'all on...

We tried meeting with Lucia on Wednesday, she rescheduled for Saturday then cancelled on us and didn't come to church yesterday 😭

We tried meeting with Carmen on Tuesday, she rescheduled for Thursday then we showed up at her door, called her, she was at work. 

Oh and our Nigerian family, Marvelous and Happy? They cancelled on us last Tuesday evening, rescheduled for Saturday (this one actually happened!) Here in The Great Italy Rome mission, we have a name for these occurrences: "bidone". We got hit with the bidone multiple times this week (meaning the person we were supposed to meet with bailed last minute), ma sempre avanti! It led us to lots of great finding time and a less active visit.

It also led us to meet people we wouldn't have met otherwise, like Dina! We were doing English course finding and stopped a lady asking her if she spoke English. She responded "I'm from America" in perfect English! Wow we were shocked. She's from Oklahoma! And she's here teaching English hahaha but we had a really long conversation with her and exchanged phone numbers to meet up another time and show her the "Grazie A Lui" video

In other news, I ate the best arancino of my life this week, from Marchese's. (Just including that so I'll remember that panificio for when I come back) forgot to take a picture of it, so I guess that means we'll have to go again. 

Cannoli with Rosie
One of the really fun things about this ward is all of the youth. We have been having a blast getting to know them and spend time with them and just be their friends. We even went to seminary on Saturday morning (They have school on Saturdays here) at 7am! One of the girls, Rosie, is 18 and preparing to go on a mission so she came out to work with us for a couple hours on Saturday! We went to Marvelous and Happy's house, Marvelous was eating dinner and didn't want to join in for the lesson but we taught the restoration to Happy and I think Sorella Hope loved getting to teach in English! I would like to say the same for myself but yikes I'm at the point where the restoration sounds weird in English! Hahaha. Anyways on the walk over there I quickly memorized the first vision in English....I did so by mentally translating it from Italian hahaha mamma Mia. The lesson went really really well and the spirit was so strong. Happy can read and so we read Moroni's promise together and her first question was "how much does this book cost?" We love answering that one Having Rosie there was great too, she is originally from Africa but has lived in Italy most of her life and is trying to learn English! She bore a really powerful testimony too. We asked them if they'd be in church to which they responded "Yes, we will come". They came. This work is too good y'all.

Real quick I want to share something from a talk I read this week by President Monson: "Prayer is the passport to spiritual power". I know that we have a Heavenly Father who loves us and cares about us because we are His children! I know that through prayer we can communicate with Him and I know that He listens. He hears our prayers and He answers them, maybe not always in the timing we want but in His perfect way 

Love y'all! Buona settimana a tutti!

PS I hit my year mark last Saturday..

PS if you want to send me a package while I'm in Siracusa, here's the address to send it to! 
Sorella Carley Neuberger
GLS Shop di Siracusa
Viale Polibio, 13 
Siracusa, SR 96100
Italia 

Letters:
Sorella Carley Neuberger
Le Sorelle Missionarie
Via Polibio, 17
Siracusa, SR 96100
Italia
 
Pizza night with the Caggegi's

Sorella Hope surprised me for my 1 year